Monday, September 12, 2011

The things I've come across...

I've come across many things in my short 20 years. I have loved, learned, grew, became, helped, cherished, fought, craved, marveled, destroyed, created, left, returned, laughed, cried, yelled, hated, and so much more. Through all of that I have picked up on things that make me happy, have helped me do better, have made me laugh more, that created relationships. I'm going to share of few of those with you.

1. ALWAYS go to bed at a decent hour, and take naps.
2. Open your heart to be loved but don't go chasing it.
3. Be REAL with people.
4. Always be honest, even when it's the hardest thing you've ever done.
5. Never forget. Write journals, take pictures, make movies.
6. Know that the lowest points in life are meant to build you back up as a better person.
7. Create masterpieces. Whether you are an amazing artist or playing with play-doh with your 4-year old niece.
8. Stand up for what is right. Don't follow the crowd, you have to believe in yourself and know that everyone deserves to be treated with respect.
9. Volunteer. There is just something about putting a smile on another's face.
10. Memorize little pieces of people. I love my friend's laughter, I like that my Grandpa brings me peppermints every Sunday at church, I love that my friend always seems to know what I'm thinking just by looking at me, I love that I remind people of my brother because he's my hero, I love when my mom plays with my hair, I love when I am squeezed in a hug by my niece and nephew.
11. Build bridges don't tear them down. If you are angry or upset, forgive. If you are hurt or sad, apologize even if you do not think it was your fault.
12. Don't live too far into the future. Pray for what's next and hope for the best but live each day to the fullest.
13. Commit. Commit to your job, commit to your classes, commit to your partners, friends, family.
14. Never take the easy way out. You will not feel satisfied. The road that takes you on a bumpy journey will be the one that you look back on and remember, "Hey, I did that."
15. Pray. About everything. Whether you believe in God or not, the majority of people pray. Maybe you don't call it praying but "hoping" and "thinking" about things can be considered the same. You can pray about anything. Talk aloud, whisper to yourself, think things through in your head, all of it I considered to be praying,. Because you need something more than just yourself to ponder the things you pray about. You hope that somebody else can help you or heal you or fix you. You hope that everything will be okay.

These are only a few lessons that I have learned. Some may seem cheesy (like "shredding cheese" as one of my housemates would say) but do not take them for granted. I think everyone at some point looks for advice and I hope maybe some of you find what you are looking for.

Grace & Peace,
B.

No comments:

Post a Comment